Saturday, July 09, 2005

The Art of Cooking "Monggo"

Have you ever wondered why you usually see "ginisang monggo" in the menu of cafeteria/eatery every Friday ??? I don't know what's so special about Fridays and Monggos but promise, hindi kumpleto ang menu pag wala yun..

I couldn't help but smile as i try to remember eating Tito Val's Abelgas' famous monggo for breakfast on our way to Pasadena City College. You see i was never of fan of the said dish but my bestfriend/roommate Pia introduced me to her dad's specialty and i have to admit, that was the best " Ginisang Monggo (with chicharon) " i've ever tasted. When i started working, i met chiechay who later on became my best buddy and housemate... she too was a big fan of Monggo. I remember sending her some to her workplace whenever I chance upon it in the Office Cafeteria. I will never forget the look on her face after eating her special treat.
So last Friday, i suddenly found myself in a pensive mood while cooking " Ginisang Monggo" for dinner...... It's been a decade since eating a bowlful of it at the back of the Tito Val's Sentra while trekking the 101 Freeway, and a lot of things happened since then. i met and gained new friends in Norwalk... Went back to Manila with a heavy heart..... started my first job, gained new friends as well and had my first major heartbreak ...... shifted careers... Met new friends again and found a new love and started a new life....
i know the Monggos/Fridays tandem are far from over but one thing is for sure, i will always have that special smile whenever i see another bowl of ginisang monggo....
and by the way, my version of ginisang monggo was a big hit... you should try it sometime!!!

1 comment:

Pia said...

Dad still has the flair for it :) But we don't have it every Friday anymore, it's now just whenever. Funny you remember eating it in the Sentra.

Welcome to the blogging world :)